2.15.2010

My 3 Day Week in Review

I have really ramped up my involvement in the 3 Day this year and I think the best way for me to keep everyone up to date on my activities and progress is going to be through a weekly review post.  I'm hoping to do this every Sunday, so be sure to check back then for a nice round up of what I've been up to during the previous week.  I'm also planning to highlight what I've got on tap for the upcoming week as well in an attempt to keep myself on task!

Fundraising

At this point, fundraising for the Komen 3 Day for the Cure is well underway!  As of today, I have raised $375 towards my fundraising goals for the 3 Day.  As you are no doubt aware, my team and I have been hard at work, running a series of fundraising contests to help us raise money.  This week, we wrapped up our Super Bowl contest, which netted $35 for both my teammate Melissa C and I.  We are also in the middle of our Fantasy Winter Olympics contest.  As of right now, Melissa and I each stand to make $50 at the conclusion of that fundraiser, and even more if one us should win the league.  With two more contests on the horizon, I'm hoping to bring in at least $230 from these contests, which would represent 10% of my fundraising goal.

In addition to our fundraising contests, I have also received very generous donations from my grandmother, Milly Reeves, and my aunt, Laurie Yaw, as well as from the the American Legion Burns-McCauliffe Post 465 in Homer, New York.  Thank you to everyone for your support!

Training

Training officially kicked off this week!  My training partner, Shenanigans, and I enjoyed a sunny day for our first walk on Monday which you can read all about here.  After that, things got a lot colder and even a little snowy here in Atlanta.  Training in the snow is a big change from dealing with 90+ degree temperatures, but as the walks are still pretty short, it wasn't anything we couldn't handle.  All in all, it was great to get back out on the road again!

I've been using a new application on my Android phone to track my training this year called "Cardio Trainer".  This application allows me to track both my distance and my times, which is going to be great for holding me accountable during training.  According to Cardio Trainer, I walked a total of 13.41 miles this week, more than mile beyond the recommended 12 miles of training for Week 1. 

Extra Stuff

In between training and running two fundraising contests, there hasn't been much time for extra 3 Day activities this week.  I did take some time today to get myself organized and to read my handbook, which you can read all about here.

Coming Up This Week...

This week should be fairly light in terms of fundraising because while the Fantasy Winter Olympics League is ongoing, we will not be taking any new entries.  All that I need to do for that is monitor the current standings in the league, which I can do easily on our league results webpage that my friend JT set up for us.  With my extra time, I'm going to work on promoting our Flower Power fundraiser that Melissa C. set up for us as well as drafting my formal fundraising letter.

Training this week is also still pretty light.  The 24 week training schedule calls for 3 mile walks twice during the week, a four mile walk on Saturday and a 3 mile walk on Sunday.  Seeings as I accidentally walked more than 13 miles this week already, I'm not concerned about getting my miles in this week.

I also have a lot of things planned for the blog this week.  I'm planning to kick off my series of posts focusing on biomedical research this week with a look at my history as a scientist.  I'm hoping these posts will give everyone some insight into what exactly we're raising funds for through the 3 Day and I figured there's no better palce to start than explaining where my experience in this area comes from.  I'm also planning a post about setting up your personal page on the 3 Day website, so check back for that at the end of the week.

All in all, one productive week down and lots of plans in place for next week! 

No comments: