4.07.2010

You're Invited to the Relay for Life of Emory University!

As I mentioned in my weekly recap post on Sunday, I have registered to participate in the Relay for the Life of Emory University this Friday, April 7th and you should too!


For those who don't know, the Relay for the Life is one of the primary fundraising events for the American Cancer Society.  There are more than 4,800 Relay for Life events at locations across the United States each year.  At each event, teams of people camp out at the event site and take turns circling a track or path.  Because cancer never sleeps, each team is asked to have at least one representative on the track at all times during this overnight event.

I am currently registered as Team Relentless Optimism ATL (which so far is just me) for the Emory event this Friday night.  I don't know how long I will stay and I know I won't be on the track the whole night.  But I do intend to be there for a few hours on Friday night, supporting the other Relayers and soaking up the community event.  I will also be walking my 8 mile Saturday training walk for the 3 Day at the Relay as a way to honor my best friend's mother Marcia who passed away a year ago this coming Saturday.

Because I have not yet met my fundraising minimum for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure, I will not be actively fundraising for the Relay for Life beyond what I have self donated.  I wish that I could raise money for all of these events, but I need to honor my primary and most important commitment which is to the 3 Day.

However - that doesn't mean that you can't support the American Cancer Society yourself by signing up for the Relay for Life with me!  Registration costs just $10 and there is no fundraising minimum to participate.  As far as I know, the event is open to everyone, not just the Emory community.  You can find links to register for my "team" on my official Emory Relay for Life page:


If you would like to come out and support me and the rest of the Relayers as we walk and just be a part of the community around this event, let me know.  The event starts at 7pm on Friday night at the Woodruff Physical Education Center and takes place overnight.  For more information, please see the Emory Relay for Life website.  Additional information can also be found on their Facebook page.

Thanks and I hope to see you there!  I'll be the one in pink!

No comments: