5.06.2010

You're Invited to the Atlanta Race for the Cure!

This Saturday, May 6th, thousands of people from around the Atlanta area will be taking to the streets in the 20th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and you are invited to be a part of it!


The Atlanta Race for the Cure is the premiere fundraiser for the Greater Atlanta Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.  It is held every Mother's Day weekend and is part of the larger Race for the Cure Series, the world's largest and most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer research.  The Atlanta Race for the Cure was first held in 1991 with just a few hundred participants.  This year, the Atlanta Race will mark it's 20 year anniversary, with more than 15,000 racers expected to take part.   

This year's Race activities will take place at Atlantic Station, kicking of at 6:45am when race day registration opens.  If you would like to take part, you can register on site for $35.  The check in area Having gone through race day registration in the past, I definitely recommend that you get there early!  There will be both a 1 Mile Walk starting at 7:45am and a 5K Run/Walk starting at 8:30am.  At the conclusion of the race, there will be a vendor area where participants can grab snacks and water while visiting some of the race sponsors and local breast cancer organizations.  You find all of the details about the Atlanta Race for the Cure, including the location, time and driving directions here.

All of my race day goodies, ready to go!

This will be my fourth Race for the Cure here in Atlanta and every year I am blown away by how well organized everything is, especially given the huge number of racers that take part.  It's a fun and easy way to get more involved with the breast cancer awareness community.  Plus, I can't think of a better to honor my mother and all of the mothers out there than by doing something to help raise money for the fight against breast cancer.  

Watching my mom endure a series of rigorous cancer treatments not just once but twice has been eye opening for me.  Cancer is an awful thing to deal with and the treatments aren't much better.  And I'm not the only one that has had to watch my mom go through this.  Far too many of my friends have also had to watch their mothers face this horrible disease and some of them have had to say good bye to their moms far too soon.  Running a couple miles early on a Saturday morning is nothing compared to what my mom has had to face.  No one should have to watch their mom fight for her life.  It's time to find a cure for breast cancer once and for all.  It's the best Mother's Day gift that we can give to our mothers and to ourselves.

If you would like to make a donation to the Atlanta affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, you can find the links for both my husband Mike and I here:



Thank you so much for your support and I hope to see you all bright and early on Saturday morning.  I'll be the one in pink with the bright red face after the race!






No comments: