7.24.2008

Greetings from Homer, New York!

Hi everyone!

Shenanigans and I have now been in New York for a little over a week visiting family and friends and preparing for my upcoming high school reunion (class of '98!) and my friend Melissa's bridal shower and bachelorette party. It's been a busy week but we've managed to fit in a lot of training which has been great.

We arrived here in Homer very late last Thursday after an endless 18 hour drive. We almost went stir crazy sitting in traffic in Virginia for well over two hours, but we made it in one piece. After all that time in the car, Shenanigans and I were both looking forward to getting outside and stretching our legs a bit the next day. The only downside was that I left all of my socks in Atlanta! If you've ever done any sort of endurance event, you know that good socks are critical to success. After an 8-mile walk without any padding whatsoever, I now appreciate that fact even more! Lucky for me, Mike flew in from Atlanta, so he was able to bring me my good socks (and everything else I forgot!) so I haven't had to repeat that adventure again.

As part of our short walk on Saturday morning, Shenanigans and I stopped by to explore Holiday in Homer, an annual arts festival held on the Village Green every summer. When I was younger, I used to love exploring all of the booths and I was thrilled when I realized that I would be able to go this year. I had a great time seeing lots of old friends and Shenanigans even got to kiss an alpaca! All in all, it was a great way to break up our walk and I'm so glad we got the chance to be there.

The rest of our training has been spent dodging rain storms. We've managed to get in 33 miles since we got here, but we've gotten rained on almost every time we've been out walking. Luckily, we have lots of friends and family throughout the town to give us shelter when things get too rough. Despite the rain, Shenanigans and I were able to get in our first 10-mile walk of the year which is a great milestone to hit. We planned to walk 10 more miles today (out to Little York and back), but alas, we were foiled by a thunderstorm. Hopefully the storm will blow past soon so that we can get in our miles.

Beyond all of the training that I've been able to do, I have also seen many of the people who donated to me last year. Being able to thank everyone in person is great and I'm starting to plant the seeds to get more donations this year. I'm even hoping to do some fundraising at my reunion this weekend, so it looks like things are finally starting to get rolling on that front.

It looks like it's stopped raining for the time being. Time to get out and walk again!

No comments: