9.08.2008

My Fundraising Letter

It's done! As of right now, almost 100 emails are zipping their way into the inboxes of my friends and family all around the world. Tomorrow, over 50 additional letters will be on their way via snail mail. In case anyone reading this didn't get my letter, I thought I would copy it here:

Greetings friends!


It has been projected that 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some point in their lifetime. In 2007, my mom became one of those women. To show my support for her and all the women facing this disease, I walked in the 2007 Breast Cancer 3-Day here in Atlanta. After over a year of treatments, including chemotherapy, radiation and surgery, Mom has now come out the other side a survivor. But while the bulk of Mom’s battle has ended, it continues for so many others, including my best friend’s mom Marcia. Because of that, I am walking in the Breast Cancer 3-Day again this year.


The Breast Cancer 3-Day is a 60 mile walk over the course of three days that raises funds for Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. The money that we raise will help fund innovative breast cancer research that will save the lives of untold numbers of women. In order to participate in this event, I must raise $2200. However, I’ve set a personal goal of raising at least $5000 before the walk at the end of October. This is a huge goal and I cannot reach it by myself. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me reach this milestone. As I said last year, I will be doing all the walking. You just need to set aside ten minutes to help make a huge difference in the lives of women everywhere.


If you would like to contribute, you can do so one of two ways. If you prefer to take the easy route, you can mail a check to me using the enclosed self addressed stamped envelope. The check should be made out to the Breast Cancer 3-Day in the amount that is right for you and then I will do all the legwork to get your donation processed. If you prefer to donate online, please visit www.the3day.org and click Donate Now to search for my personal page. Or, if you prefer something more straightforward, you can visit http://klsager.blogspot.com, the webpage where I am chronicling my preparations for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. There you will find links to my personal page as well as regular updates on my progress as I prepare for this event. Please bookmark this page and check back often. I will be using this tool to communicate with my team of donors throughout the event at the end October and beyond.


The Breast Cancer 3-Day is a very important event for me. Last year, I walked for my Mom and for Marcia, both of whom have fought breast cancer with grace and strength. This year, in addition to walking in honor of them, I am also walking for someone else. This year, I am walking for the next woman who will face the demons of breast cancer. Both my mom and Marcia have benefited from cutting edge treatments that were the result of important scientific research. That research was funded through the efforts of the women and men that walked before me who I have never met and who I will never get to thank for their efforts. Instead, I am paying it forward. I am walking to fund the research that will save the life of the next woman, just as thousands of people have walked before me, raising money for the research that saved my mom’s life.


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this letter. I hope that you will join me in this taking part in this incredible adventure. Please share this information with anyone that you think might be interested. If I have learned one thing during my time with the 3-Day, it is that everyone, everywhere has been touched by breast cancer in some way. This is something that has affected all of us and together, we are working towards achieving the ultimate goal of the Breast Cancer 3-Day: a world without breast cancer.


All my best,

Kristen Sager Cincotta


PS – For more information on this great event and the organizations that it benefits, please visit www.the3day.org or call 800.996.3Day.


No comments: