3.09.2010

Belated 3 Day Week in Review, Again

I had been planning quite a few 3 Day related activities last week that were suddenly waylaid by a last minute trip to visit family up in New York. While the trip threw off some my plans, it was definitely worth it to see everyone, even if it was just for 36 hours. So the theme of this week is going to be catching up!

Fundraising

This week, we wrapped up both the Fantasy Winter Olympics league and the Predict the Oscars contest.  With those fundraisers now complete, my fundraising total to date stands at $545.  I'm really excited to have hit that $500 milestone (and to add that sticker to my Milestone badge), especially since I haven't really started my direct letter writing campaign.  That's always been a really successful way to generate donations for me so I think I'm in good shape to reach at least my minimum long before the event starts.

I'm thrilled with how our series of fundraising contests has been going.  We didn't get the 25 entries  we wanted for the Predict the Oscars contest, but we did get 18 which is still great.  We even had a number of entries from people that found us through random Google searches and wanted to get involved.  It's amazing what word of mouth can do!

Training

Remember last week when I said that it was okay that I was getting ahead in miles because there would be weeks that I wouldn't be able to get in all of the planned training walks on the 24 week training schedule?  Yep, that was this week.  I was able to get in the 5 mile Saturday walk on Friday before I left for New York but I had to push the Sunday walk to Monday.  All told, I walked 13.7 miles last week and 18.3 miles once you add in Monday's walk.  Altogether, I've already walked 63.52 miles, including Monday.  That means it's taken me just over four weeks to cover the mileage that we'll be walking in three days in Boston in July.  That's crazy to think about!

Extra Stuff

Not too much extra stuff this week, I'm afraid.  Again, with our trip up to New York, I just didn't get a chance to do much blogging this week.  I was able to put together a post about building a route library to help keep your training on track and interesting.  It sounds like people really found that post helpful, so I'm glad I was at least able to get that out.  I also got a short post up on our team blog to try to recruit some additional team members using the current discounted registration fee.  That discount is still going on, but only through today.  If you're interested, you can read more about it here.

Coming Up Next Week (which is really this week already!)...

This week is all about catching up from weekend away, both in real life and with my 3 Day stuff.  

We will be starting our last two fundraising contests this weekend (March Madness and it's fashionable cousin Fug Madness) which I'm hoping will bring in a lot of money.  The window for taking those entries is going to be really short compared to our other contests, so I'm going to send out some emails and make some posts on Facebook to give people a head's up that they're coming.  I'm hoping that at the completion of all of the contests, I will have raised $230 (10% of the minimum).  So far I've raised $155 through the contests which means I need to take in another $75 between the two tournaments.  Because of how we run these contests and the number of teammates participating in them, I think it's going to take a whopping 45 entries between the two.  I think we can get there, but it's going to take a lot of work.

Training is also kicking up this week.  As I mentioned, I already made up for a missed walk on Monday.  The regular schedule for this week calls for two weekday walks of 3 and 4 miles and two weekend walks of 6 and 4 miles, so those will definitely get done.  In addition, this week marks the start of "cross training" as well.  I've never really done the cross training part of the training schedule before.  However, this year, I want to really give myself a shot to run all of the Atlanta Race for the Cure in May and maybe even the Peachtree Road Race in early July.  To prepare for the R4tC, I'm going to try to follow the running schedule outlined in the Couch to 5K program.  It's going to be a lot of work to train for both and some weeks I'll probably just run during the week instead of the shorter weekday walks.  But I'll never know if I can do it unless I try, so that's what I'm doing: I'm trying.

I'm also going to get back on the blog this week, I promise.  I want to talk a bit about fundraising and the new Facebook widget, now that I've had some time to use it.  I also have a few longer posts in my head, although I'm not sure which ones will materialize first.  But I will get a few posts up, I promise!

No comments: