2.28.2010

My 3 Day Week in Review

The Olympics may be over, but preparations for the 3 Day continue!

Fundraising

This week was pretty slow on the fundraising front.  I only got one donation from a wonderful anonymous donor this week (Thank you anonymous donor!), which put my fundraising total at $450.  However, next week promises to be much more productive.  Our Fantasy Winter Olympics League is now over, so those donations will go through in the next few days.  My fantasy team, Norwegian Curling Pants put in a strong showing to bring home the silver (just like their real life namesake!).  That fundraiser will ultimately push me over the $500 benchmark, which is a great milestone.  We're also in the final week of our Predict the Oscars fundraiser and I'm expecting a nice bump there as well.

In addition, I have been working on a fundraising proposal to a local organization in my hometown that I completed up this week.  One of my teammates is submitting that on Monday, so hopefully by the end of next week I'll have something to report there as well.

Training

Walking... Walking... Walking...  The walking, it continues.  This week, Shenanigans and I covered 16.81 miles, including 5.5 miles on Saturday, our longest walk yet.  I'm still walking about a mile and a 1/2 more than the recommended amounts, which is just fine with me.  There will be weeks where I won't be able to cover all of the recommended mileage, so it's good to get some extra miles in now.  All told, Shenanigans and I have walked 45.22 miles total in training so far.

As I've mentioned before, I'm using Cardio Trainer to track my training this year.  Most of the time, this app is great.  Every so often, though, the GPS gets really confused.  This past Thursday, it somehow decided that I started my walk in Michigan of all places.  It did figure out that I ended up in Atlanta, though.  As a result, it reported that I covered 547.9 miles in 68 minutes!  While I do walk pretty fast and I love the idea of having burned 3746 calories in an hour, I'm pretty sure that's not quite accurate.  It did get a lot of laughs on Facebook though.

Extra Stuff

As I said last week, I planned a pretty light week for myself last week as far as 3 Day activities.  As I mentioned above, I finished up the fundraising proposal I was working on.  I also wrote a fairly lengthy post about setting up your personal page on the 3 Day website that featured one my very favorite pictures of Shenanigans.  Finally, I highlighted a great series of "You Know You're a 3 Day Walker When..." posts by fellow Online Ambassador Nicole.

I also wanted to mention that I've started to receive some really great feedback on my blog via the comments and on Facebook.  I can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear that other walkers are finding my blog both friendly and helpful.  Keep those comments coming and please let me know if there's anything specific that you'd like me to talk about!  Any and all feedback is encouraged!

Coming Up Next Week...

As I mentioned in my belated Week in Review last Monday, our big fundraiser right now is our Predict the Oscars contest over on the Relentless Optimism team blog.  We'll be taking entries for that up until 8pm on Friday, March 5th with the Oscar ceremony taking place next Sunday night.  Entries have been fairly slow so far, but as the bulk of our entries in our other contests have come in the second week, I'm not too concerned.  We may not get to our goal of 25 entries, but I'm hoping we can get close to that.

In addition to the Oscars contest, I'm going to be starting to plant some seeds about our next two fundraisers as well:  March Madness (which will start March 14th) and it's fashionable cousin, Fug Madness (which starts March 12th).  Because there isn't much lead time between when the brackets are announced for those tournaments and when the first contests take place, we're only going to have about 4 days to take entries for each fundraiser.  Therefore, giving people a bit of a heads up that they're coming is going to be really important.

I've also a got a few blog posts up my sleeve for this week, mostly in the tips and advice arena.  I'm planning to touch on both fundraising and training this week, and then we'll get back to some science-y stuff next week.  I'm also planning to take advantage of the current discounted registration fee to make a push to recruit a few more members for Relentless Optimism.  Should be a fun and hopefully helpful week on Kristen Walks!

No comments: