4.26.2010

My 3 Day Week in Review!

Short and sweet this week!

Fundraising

Fundraising this week was almost entirely focused on our team fundraiser with Flower Power Fundraising. That great fundraiser wrapped up last Friday and ended up bringing in $835 for our team, including over $70 in the last 24 hours.  I had never heard of Flower Power Fundraising before my teammate Melissa found them and I'm so glad that she did!  Such a huge success.  Since Melissa is running that fundraiser for us and she's been out of town, I'm not sure when those donations will post to the 3 Day site, but when they do, that should be about $167 per walker on our team.

Overall, I have raised $1665 so far plus a check that I finally mailed out but that hasn't posted yet.  I also got a donation from my fellow Online Ambassador Cat of the Fat Girl Walkin' blog this week so extra special thank you to Cat!

Training

Despite some thunderstorms on Saturday that messed up my schedule, I was able to complete my four training walks this week for a total of 26.5 miles walked this past week and 222.77 miles walked to date.  

I also completed three runs this week as part of my training for the Atlanta Race for the Cure.  I ended up running a total of 7.9 miles this week and felt much better overall about my progress as a runner than I did last week.  If you recall, I was feeling very frustrated because I was unable to overcome some major mental roadblocks against running more than 10 minutes at a time.  This week, I modified the Couch to 5K plan and did my own intervals intervals instead.  I also switched to listening to podcasts during my runs to keep my mind occupied by something other than "OMG THIS HURTS SO BAD I CANT DO THIS UGH".  With those two changes, I was able to complete three very successful runs this week, often running longer intervals than I had planned because I felt so good.  On Sunday, I ran a 16 minute interval and felt pretty darn good about it.  I'm feeling like my goal of completing the Race for the Cure 5K in under 30 minutes might actually be within reach!

On Sunday, I was joined for both my run and my six mile training walk by my husband Mike.  Mike's pretty athletic, but a runner he is not.  He has walked with me on occasion, but this is the first time he's run with me as well.  We completed our run first and afterwards, while I was huffing and puffing and red faced, he seemed perfectly fine.  GRR - I'm the one that's been training, so I was frustrated that he was able to do the run seemingly so easily.  However, by the time we finished our training walk, he was griping about a sore hip and tired legs while I felt just fine.  In fact, I felt so good that I went to the Inman Park Festival here in Atlanta in the afternoon and walked another couple miles there while he stayed home to recover and make chili for dinner.  This morning, he woke up with incredibly sore legs and I still feel great with no soreness at all.  Clearly, training as hard as I have been definitely pays off in the end!

Extra Stuff

I continued to be really focused on my non 3-Day commitments this week, so I didn't really do much extra beyond training and promoting the Flower Power fundraiser this week.  I did put together a post in honor of Earth Day about Celebrating Earth Day the 3 Day Way.  Heidi of the My Incredible Journey blog told me on Twitter that I convinced her to buy a reusable water bottle, which was great to hear!  Other than that though, things were pretty quiet around here in terms of 3 Day activities.

Coming Up Next Week...

I have a little bit more time this week, so I'm hoping to get a bit more done on 3 Day front than last week, primarily with my training.   

I'm going to continue to stick with the 24 week training walk schedule this week, which calls for 3 mile and 5 mile walks during the week and 11 mile and 5 mile walks on the weekend.  Likewise, I'm planning the following runs for this week, all of which add up to 28 minutes of running per run (compared to 25 minutes last week):

  • Run 1: Run 18 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 10 minutes
  • Run 2: Run 20 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 8 minutes
  • Run 3: Run 22 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 6 minutes
Beyond that, I'm going to start drafting my formal 3 Day fundraising letter and keep working on thank you notes for the donations that I've received so far.  Finally, on Saturday, I'm going to be venturing up to Alpharetta for the Atlanta Training Kick-Off event, which I'm really looking forward to. Should be a fun and hopefully productive week!


Search Amazon.com for Pedometers

No comments: