6.10.2010

Send Me Mail on the Event!

One of the things that I look forward to the absolute most when I am on a 3 Day event is getting the mail.  I know what you're thinking - why on earth would we need to get our mail when we're only living in the 3 Day camp for 3 days?  Well, because it's a fun and easy way for our loved ones and supporters to send us some encouragement along the way even if they can't physically be with us during the 3 Day!

The 3 Day is a really tough event.  We will be walking the equivalent of two and a half marathons in just three days.  We're going to be sleeping in small tents, possibly in the cold or the rain.  We will be dealing with blisters, sun burns and swollen hands throughout our journey.  We're going to be showering in tractor trailers for crying out loud.  And at some point during the event, everyone hits a wall.  For me, it's usually the morning of Day 3.  It's cold and wet in the morning and my Day 1 endorphins have totally worn off.  I'm usually getting sore and having to haul my stuff back to the gear truck is usually the last thing I want to do at that point.  I'm usually annoyingly cheerful and energetic but truly, everyone hits that wall.

For almost everyone that takes on the challenge of the 3 Day, there is nothing more motivating than knowing that there are people out there rooting for us to succeed.  Seeing our loved ones amongst the sea of strangers at cheering stations provides an energy boost that you cannot imagine.  And hearing from our friends, family and even strangers that can't be there with us in person can be just as effective.  It is truly a highlight for me to read the encouraging words of my supporters when I get to the 3 Day camp after a long day of walking.

If you would like to send mail to me (or any other Boston 3 Day walker!), you can do so by addressing your letters and cards to:

3-Day for the Cure PO
Attn: Name of Participant
P.O. Box 8557
Warwick, RI 02888

Please note that this address is for the Boston walk only.  The mailing addresses for the other events will be released about eight weeks before each event.  Only envelopes will be delivered on event, so please, no packages.  

Finally, all mail for the Boston 3 Day must be post marked no later than July 13th to ensure delivery on the event.  Husbands and boyfriends, mark your calendars now, even if you will be at the event in person.  Your wives and girlfriends will love you for it - trust me!

No comments: