5.17.2008

My first 3 Day blog!

(cross-posted from http://08.the3day.org/goto/kscincotta)

Welcome to my blog where I'll be recounting my various adventures as I prepare for the 2008 Atlanta Breast Cancer 3 Day!

This week was the first official week of training, which kicked off for me last Saturday at the Atlanta Race for the Cure. I walked that 5K with my husband Mike in the morning and then wound up walking an extra 3 miles with my teammate Kelly in the afternoon. Needless to say, by the time we got to dinner that night, I was pooped! Clearly, if the 3 Day was tomorrow, I would need to hop on a Sweep Van. Thankfully, I still have 24 weeks to get in shape, something that I take very seriously.

Speaking of the Race for the Cure, my two favorite breast cancer survivors, my mom and Marcia, my best friend's mom, both walked in the Central New York Race for the Cure this morning. They walked as part of a team that included both Mom's family and Marcia's family as well as their friends, including the other two "Mag Moms" (Diana and Mary Lee). Their team raised over $2000 this year, over twice their goal. I am so proud of all of them and I so wish I could have been there to cheer for them as they crossed the finish line!

Finally, I wanted to share a story that illustrates one of the huge lessons that I have learned in my time with the 3 Day, which is that everyone, everywhere, has been touched by breast cancer. Today, I went with my teammate Kelly to buy her sneakers at one of the official outfitters. The woman fitting her was very interested in the 3 Day and asked lots of questions about how we got involved in the 3 Day. It turns out that she is a breast cancer survivor herself. She was diagnosed last fall and soon thereafter found out her cancer had metastasized to her bones. However, I am thrilled to report that she had her first clean scans last week! I thought it was very fitting that Kelly bought her sneakers from a breast cancer survivor, and we will certainly be keeping her in mind throughout our 3 Day experience!

That's all I have for today, but check back often for updates. I plan to post about my adventures as often as possible!

No comments: