2.25.2011

Weekly 3 Day Blog Round Up: February 19th - 25th

As I mentioned yesterday, I am bringing back the weekly 3 Day blog link round up and today is the first post of the new installment!

[Side note: I think this feature needs an actual name. If you have a suggestion, let me know in the comments!]

A few quick words about these weekly blog link posts before we get to this week's links. 

First, in this feature, I try to stick to personal (not professional) blogs. That means that you won't be seeing links to posts that appear on news sites, the official Komen blog or other similar sites. What you will find is links to the blogs of your fellow 3 Day walkers and crew members, cancer survivors and all around great personal blogs. I'm the one that makes the final call about whether the material is suitable for these posts, so I may fudge that line a little here and there. 

Second, I have a personal rule about not promoting the fundraising events of other walkers. I will link to event summaries if I think the fundraiser or event was particularly well done, creative and/or inspiring but I try to avoid linking to news about fundraisers ahead of time. I don't want to be accused of promoting certain walkers and not others, so I do my best to avoid linking to posts about fundraisers ahead of time altogether. 

Each post will cover a period of seven days, from Friday morning to Thursday night. I settled on this schedule last year during the 3 Day event season because a number of walkers were able to update their blogs during their events and I wanted to be able to keep all of the posts about one event together in one post as best as possible. I am planning on posting on Saturdays so that I have a day to catch on blog posts I may have missed and to have some time to get everything together to post. If I really have my stuff together, like today, it may go up on Friday evenings instead.

Finally, I am only one person and I can only read so many blog posts in a week. I currently have 88 blogs in my RSS Reader folder tagged as "3 Day blogs". I also try to keep an eye on the #the3day and #3daytweeps hashtags on Twitter for new blogs that I may not have discovered yet. If you have a blog (or know of a blog) that I should be reading and think that I'm not, please let me know in the comments! Some of the blogs from 2010 walkers and crew members have gone inactive and I love discovering new people. That being said, just because I don't link to something that you wrote in a given week doesn't mean that I didn't read it. As I mentioned, I have 88 blogs that I currently monitor, so I have to be a little judicious in terms of what I link to in these posts.

I think that just about covers everything. Let's get to those blog links already!

To start, I wanted to link over to the 3 Day Tweeps website to recognize some of our fellow tweeps who were also named Online Ambassadors 2011. You can read more about the new ambassadors and congratulate them here. You can also sign up to be a Tweep if you haven't already!

Aaron, one of our newly minted Online Ambassadors, wrote in his blog The 3 Day Man about what it's like to be a man on the 3 Day in this great post

Speaking of men on the 3 Day, Jay Furr has once again kicked off his 3 Day funding by shaving his head. Watch this year's video explaining this tradition on his Livejournal blog here.

Roberta, who writes the blog Journey to Atlanta (formerly known as Journey to San Diego) has a fantastic new team name to go along with her new blog name: The Pink Slips. Their team is also recruiting new members, which you can read about here.

Atlanta appears to be the hot city for the 3 Day in 2011! In addition to The Pink Slips and Team Twitter Atlanta, the Music City Spirit team from Nashville has decided to walk in Atlanta this year as well. Read more about their decision here.

Tori, of the blog 3 Days Walking in Joy, wrote a bit about she likes to start the training walks that she leads in this wonderful post that emphasizes why the community aspect of the 3 Day is so important.

Leanne, of the always excellent blog Leanne... the Walker wrote this week about keeping in mind that the 3 Day is not a race, in this post.

And finally, survivor and Seattle walker Tracy Dart of the blog Team Tracy reflects on the impact that cancer has had on her life in this moving post.

Thanks for reading! See you next week!

No comments: