3.20.2010

You're Invited to the ING Georgia Marathon!

In less than seven hours, runners from all over will take to the streets of Atlanta in the ING Georgia Marathon and Half Marathon.  They've been training for months to achieve their personal goals and I'm here to encourage everyone to put on their rain boots tomorrow morning and cheer them on!

While I will be out tomorrow morning in full support of all of my friends running the race (including Cliff, Camilo and Andrea), two of them have a special place in my heart.  Meag and Andy Jenkins, friends of mine from Emory University, will be running tomorrow with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training group.  Meag's brother Ron passed away last fall after a long battle with leukemia. Over the past six months, both Meag and Andy have been working hard not just to train for the marathon, but to raise as much money as possible for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as well.

All together, Meag and Andy have raised $6957.01 for cancer research and Meag is ranked as the number three fundraiser in the state of Georgia.   I could not be prouder of both them.  They really have taken what was a painful personal experience and done something amazing that will benefit so many others.   So tomorrow morning, I'll be out on the route in the rain, in my purple bandana and my rain boots, cheering them on!  When I think about how much the supporters mean to me during the 3 Day (especially in the cold and rain in 2008!), I can't imagine being anywhere else.

If you would like to read more about Meag and Andy's story, please read this wonderful piece on them that was done by 11 Alive News here in Atlanta.  You can also read about Meag's journey to the marathon on her fundraising page, which can be found here.

If you would like to come out and cheer on not just Meag and Andy but all of the racers, the route map can be found here

Meag and Andy at their Team in Training Fundraiser, which you can read about here.

No comments: